Sunday, August 23, 2009

The other day, my mum stated that a passerby could easily mistake my brother and I for twins. Now my brother is twelve, and I'm sure it was supposed to be some quip on her part, mocking my height and my childish attitude in the store at the time, (I'm sorry that cart racing was not "age appropriate") but I quite liked the comment. Lately, I've just been calling Peter "twin" instead of his real name.

He's a funny kid. Sometimes I'm fairly sure he's the male version of myself. Like today, for example, when we were all eating dinner and my youngest brother pointed out a baby mouse climbing across the floor. Before I could even properly react, Peter was standing on top of his chair peering down at the thing. It was brilliant, and everyone gave him shit for it but I liked his reaction much better than my father's, which involved mercilessly beating the little thing with a dustpan.

I guess the biggest difference between him and me is the fact that the kid is a natural athlete. He's been trying out for the Olympic Development Team the past two weekends and my dad's convinced he's going to make it. Granted, few father's really would chose to be certain of their child's potential failures, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he did - in fact - make it. He doesn't really want to do it, but he can't so no to Dad. He's so caught up in trying to please him that he'll willingly give up doing things for himself.

He's a cool kid, my twin. It's funny, my mum and I were spying on him just the other day surrounded by a group of girls who were trying to talk to him. To us, it was hysterical, especially considering how anti-social he can be. But I loved it all the same.. I honestly cannot wait to watch him grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment